Instagram

Thursday, April 5, 2012

3rd Grade Recycled Magazine Bowls

It feels like it's been quite a while since I last posted! Between spring break and being in the middle of some long projects, I haven't had a lot to post about until now. 


I've always been a big proponent of being green in the art room. I try to incorporate recycling into as many projects as I can. I've even wearing a shirt with the recycling symbol (and a narwhal!) right at this very moment! I think any time you can help students understand the reasons behind why being green is important, it is a high quality addition to a lesson. 


Over the last couple of years I have played with the thickness of the magazines for this project. I've figured that 3/4" is just about perfect for my 3rd graders. I cut strips of chip board for my students to wrap their magazine pages around. They all end up doing around 50 pages before attaching them all together and rolling them into a disk. This project is pretty consistently successful and I recommend it if you're looking for something fun, green, and inexpensive!


Check out the lesson here!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm thinking about having a sub do this lesson with my students while I'm out on leave. How many days did you schedule for it (and how long are you art classes)? Thanks!

Zach Stoller said...

I would plan on at least 4-5 classes for it. My classes are 45 minutes long. Good luck.