Instagram

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

2nd Grade Eric Carle Style Animals


My 2nd grade students just finished a project about Eric Carle. I've always liked Carle's books and my students all know who he is. I started this one out by reading one of Carle's many books to my classes. They then sketched a simple picture with an animal as the main focus. On the second day of the project, each student created two textured papers that could be used in their project. They were able to use all kinds of unconventional tools to paint with to make some really cool textures. On day three, students began cutting up their textured paper in order to make a collage. It took one more day to add details and write artists statements. 


This project came out fairly good, but I think I'll end up changing it around a little next year. I think my students would be more successful if they were just doing one large animal  and no or very little background. Many students ended up making their animals so small they couldn't really get any details in. Of course it's not like I told them over and over to make sure they made their animals as big as they could. Wait...I did tell them that!


Unfortunately, I don't have a digital copy of this lesson. Usually, I would have time to type something up and post it. Right now, I have my art show coming up in just a few weeks and there are more pressing matters going on right now! Please let me know if you have any questions. This project is pretty straight forward. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude, you are WAY too hard on yourself. These Carle inspired collage projects totally ROCK! I had my third grades spend weeks on this and they were a disaster! Your 2nd grade projects are so good! I am not kidding you, a couple of your student's projects look like they were done by Mr. Carle himself!

Zach Stoller said...

Pat, you leave the nicest comments and I appreciate all of them!!